It’s Thanksgiving and you’re cooking dinner at the kitchen of your Treasure Valley home when suddenly, your cooking and a fire breaks out in your kitchen and you panic! Where is the fire extinguisher? What do you do? If you have smoke detectors and they are working, they will go off and alert other people in the house who can help. But what if you don’t? You can’t really let your whole house burn down just because of a little kitchen accident, can you?
According to the National Fire Protection Authority, Thanksgiving is the leading day for home-cooking related fires. It’s the one day in a year where all kitchens are prone to small fires because of all the preparations to get every dish out the kitchen door just in time for dinner. It’s a challenge to whip up a sumptuous feast so make sure that home safety should not be an added stress. To help, here are some safety tips to keep in mind:
1. Install smoke and fire alarms near the kitchen and on every other room of the home. If you already have alarms installed, make sure that all these are working and don’t forget to replace the batteries at least once every year.
2. Remove fire hazards in the kitchen. Keep those wooden ladles, wooden utensils, paper towels, and oven mitts away from an open fire.
3. If you’ll be using candles for decoration, make sure to keep fire hazards away from the flame and never leave a burning candle unattended.
4. When having family and friends with little kids over, clean up your home. Cut down the clutter, clear the floor and tabletops of small decors that kids can easily pick up, put in their mouth, and choke.
5. Remind guests who will be sleeping over to bring their prescription medications.
Make you and your family’s safety a priority. Keep in mind all these safety tips so you can truly enjoy a warm and wonderful Thanksgiving holiday, whether it be out of town or in your Treasure Valley home.